The condition of dark underarms causes significant anxiety and depression among postpartum mothers. It profoundly affects their confidence and aesthetic appearance. Therefore, how to treat dark underarms after childbirth becomes a major concern for many mothers.
Recognizing this, the following article will present 13 ways for mothers to effectively and safely treat dark underarms after childbirth.
Causes of dark underarms after childbirth
Undoubtedly, this is a common concern among most new mothers. During and after pregnancy, the underarm area tends to darken, accompanied by an unpleasant armpit odor. This condition is attributed to hormonal changes.
Specifically, during pregnancy, there is a sudden surge in the levels of estrogen and progesterone in the body. This leads to an uncontrolled increase in melanin pigment proliferation, resulting in a rapid shift in skin color from a pinkish white to a dark black hue.
Moreover, the placenta and fetus release significant amounts of hormones that trigger hyperpigmentation, causing darkening and discoloration of the skin on various body parts, including the armpits, abdomen, groin, chest, and even facial skin. This process not only contributes to skin darkening and pigmentation but also gives rise to an unpleasant body odor.
Furthermore, improper care habits also contribute to underarm darkening. These habits include irregular exfoliation, improper shaving or plucking of armpit hair, and overuse of deodorants. Understanding these specific causes can aid in the prevention and application of appropriate remedies, leading to the most effective treatment for dark underarms after childbirth.
13 effective and simple methods for treating dark underarms after childbirth at home
To treat dark underarms, you can utilize readily available natural ingredients. These methods are highly effective, safe, and budget-friendly, making them feasible for mothers to practice at home.
Using coconut oil
Coconut oil contains a significant amount of fatty acids, including lauric acid, which exhibits bactericidal properties and effectively inhibits melanin proliferation. Additionally, coconut oil serves as a moisturizer, fostering smooth and bright white skin under the arms. Therefore, employing coconut oil is a recommended home remedy for treating dark underarms after giving birth.
- Prepare a thin towel and 5 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil.
- Prior to the treatment, thoroughly cleanse the body with warm water, paying particular attention to the skin under the arms to soften and loosen it.
- Subsequently, use a soft towel soaked in coconut oil to gently massage both sides of the armpits. This process softens the skin, facilitating the use of a razor to remove underarm hair.
- Finally, take a shower to cleanse the armpit area with water and shower gel. Consistent daily application of this method will yield bright and white underarm skin, eliminating the issue of dark and unappealing discoloration.
Salt and yogurt
The sodium chloride component in sea salt acts as an effective disinfectant and bactericide. Salt also serves as an exfoliant, promoting clean, smooth, and white skin under the armpits. Moreover, the postpartum dark armpit treatment involving a blend of yogurt aids in whitening, firming, and effectively diminishing dark spots.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of powdered salt and 1 jar of unsweetened yogurt.
- Mix the two ingredients thoroughly to create a uniform mixture.
- After cleansing and drying your body, apply the prepared mixture to the dark underarms.
- Leave the mixture on the skin for approximately 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water.
- For optimal results, apply this method 2 to 3 times per week.
Note: It is advisable not to use this dark underarm treatment continuously every day, as the salt may cause the skin to become easily irritated and peel.
Effectively treat dark underarms with lemon
Underarm darkening and unpleasant odors can be effectively addressed by using fresh lemon. The natural acidic properties of lemon aid in disinfecting, deodorizing, and whitening the skin. Additionally, the high vitamin C content in this fruit assists in exfoliating dead cells and stimulating the regeneration of new skin. Consequently, the underarm skin becomes smooth and lightens in color.
- Begin by cutting a fresh lemon into small slices.
- After cleaning the underarm area, rub the slices of lemon all over the underarms.
- Perform this for approximately 3 to 5 minutes, then thoroughly rinse with warm water.
- Consistently apply the postpartum dark underarm treatment with lemon every other day, and over time, the darkened skin will gradually lighten.
Turmeric and honey
Turmeric, rich in the active ingredient curcumin, effectively combats bacteria, fades dark scars, and whitens the skin. Honey, renowned for its anti-inflammatory properties and its ability to inhibit melanin formation, helps weaken the dark cuticle structure in the armpit area. Therefore, the combination of turmeric and honey serves as an excellent solution to eliminate dark underarms.
- Gather the following ingredients: 5 fresh turmeric roots and 5 tablespoons of pure honey.
- Begin by peeling the turmeric, washing it thoroughly, and grinding it into a paste.
- Combine the ground turmeric with honey, place the mixture in a small jar, and store it in the refrigerator.
- Every evening after bathing, apply the mixture to the armpit area and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes.
Treating dark underarms after childbirth at home with talcum powder
Talcum powder has the capability to effectively absorb sweat and sebum, aiding in the treatment of dark underarms and immediate elimination of odors. Take advantage of this remedy to effectively address dark underarms after childbirth at home and achieve smooth, white skin.
- After thoroughly cleansing your body, apply talcum powder to the entire underarm area.
- Leave the powder on the skin overnight and shower again in the morning.
- Maintain this routine every night, and you will soon resolve the issue of dark and malodorous underarms.
Alum has long been a popular remedy for treating dark underarms due to its significant alumen content. This active ingredient effectively disinfects and eliminates bacteria, performing twice as effectively as salt. Additionally, the natural acidic component in alum aids in deodorizing and controlling oil.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of alum powder with a small amount of clean water to form a paste.
- After bathing, apply the prepared mixture evenly to the armpits.
- Leave it on for approximately 5 to 10 minutes and rinse thoroughly with shower gel and water.
- In the hot summer, perform this method daily, and every other day in the winter, to swiftly address the issue of dark and malodorous underarms.
Treating dark underarms after childbirth with potatoes
Potatoes contain a mild acidic content and various nutrients such as vitamins and magnesium. These components possess whitening effects and effectively treat dark underarms after childbirth. Therefore, do not overlook the method of treating dark underarms after giving birth using potatoes.
- Prepare one potato with the skin on, wash it, and either boil or steam it.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, then cut them into slices.
- Use each slice of potato to gently rub the dark and dull underarms.
- Consistently apply this method once every 3 days, and the skin under the arms will gradually lighten and become smoother.
Method to reduce dark underarms after childbirth with cucumber
Cucumber is another natural ingredient that effectively lightens and diminishes dark underarms. Its cooling properties and high water content help maintain moisture balance, control sweat glands, deodorize, and gradually brighten the skin.
- Wash the cucumber, cut it into thin slices, and soak it with white salt.
- Apply the prepared cucumber directly to the dark underarms.
- Leave it on the skin for approximately 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with water.
- Persistently apply this method every night, and you will soon achieve bright and white underarms.
Coffee grounds contain a substantial amount of caffeine, which exhibits effective antiseptic, exfoliating, and deodorizing properties. This results in gradual skin lightening, brightness, and the rapid disappearance of dark spots in the underarm area.
- Prior to applying the postpartum dark underarm treatment with coffee grounds, cleanse the underarm area with warm water.
- Rub the coffee grounds gently on the dark underarms.
- Perform the process for approximately 10 to 15 minutes to allow the active caffeine to have the best effect.
- Consistently apply this method three times per week, and you will soon eliminate dark underarms and any lingering odor.
Green tea grounds
Green tea grounds are another effective ingredient for treating dark underarms. Green tea possesses bactericidal properties, balancing the skin’s pH. It also promotes dry, white, and smooth skin, effectively eliminating dark spots and unpleasant odors.
- After washing your body, gently rub the dark underarms with green tea grounds.
- Continue this process for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, thoroughly rinse with water and pat dry.
- Consistently apply the treatment of dark underarms after childbirth with green tea grounds regularly every night, and you will soon feel confident with bright, smooth skin.
Treating dark underarms at home with perilla leaves
Perilla leaves have the ability to alleviate pimples and inflammation of the pores caused by hormonal changes and improper armpit hair removal. These leaves also contribute to skin whitening, smoothness, and overall skin health. Therefore, you can use perilla leaves to effectively treat postpartum dark underarms at home.
- Prepare a handful of perilla leaves, wash them, and boil them with lemon and ginger.
- Allow the mixture to cool, and use this water to bathe the entire body, rubbing the perilla residue on the armpit area.
- Finally, thoroughly rinse with cool water.
Vitamin E in the treatment of dark underarms
Treating dark underarms after childbirth with vitamin E is an effective method that you should not overlook. The addition of vitamin E helps whiten the underarm skin and eliminate dark spots.
- After taking a clean bath, apply vitamin E gel evenly to the armpits.
- Use a cotton pad to cover your armpits and leave it overnight.
- The following morning, wash your armpits with warm water.
- Persist in applying this method 2 to 3 times per week, and you will soon achieve the desired effect.
Treating dark underarms after childbirth with aloe vera
Aloe vera contains abundant amounts of vitamins C, A, and E. These nutrients effectively aid in removing dark spots on the skin. Therefore, take advantage of aloe vera to treat dark underarms after childbirth and attain smooth, white skin.
- Prepare one aloe vera branch, remove the peel, extract the gel, and blend it into a puree.
- After cleaning the armpit area, apply the crushed aloe vera gel to the armpit area and leave it on for approximately 15 minutes.
- Finally, thoroughly wash your armpits with cool water.
- Continue this process 2 to 3 times per week, and you will soon feel confident with smooth, white underarm skin.
Key points to effectively treat dark underarms after childbirth
To achieve the best results after childbirth, it’s essential to keep the following points in mind during the treatment process:
- Consistent application: The methods for treating dark underarms with natural ingredients, as mentioned above, primarily target the skin’s surface. Therefore, to allow the skin to recover and eliminate dark spots, it’s crucial to persist with a suitable frequency for an extended period, typically ranging from 2 to 3 months.
- Opt for breathable clothing: Opt for cool, absorbent clothing to maintain cleanliness and prevent the accumulation of sweat and bacteria, which can lead to skin inflammation and darkening in the underarm area.
- Minimize armpit hair removal and use of deodorant rollers: Dark underarms and skin irritation can arise from the excessive plucking of armpit hair with tweezers and overuse of deodorant rollers. Consider abandoning these practices and opting for safer hair removal techniques while using deodorants only when necessary.
Through the provided article, we have shared the top 13 effective methods for treating dark underarms after giving birth. We hope you will find the most suitable approach to swiftly gain confidence with bright, smooth, and pleasantly scented underarms.
Johnny Jacks was born in 1985 in Texas, USA. He is the founder of Good Health Plan and is passionate about helping people improve their health and physical well-being. With over a decade of experience working in the healthcare industry, he currently works at Goodheathplan.com – a blog that shares knowledge on beauty and health.