Perhaps sports injuries are not too strange to readers. However, you may still be confused as to how to treat this type of injury.
Sports injuries often happen when you practice or participate in a sport. You may be at risk of injury if you do nothip is often active, kHips warm up properly before training, csteam strong contact sports.
Types of sports injuries
Different sports injuries cause different symptoms and complications. The most common types of injuries include:
- Sprain: Overstretching or rupture of a ligament leads to a sprain. Ligaments are pieces of tissue that connect two bones together in a joint.
- Muscle strain: Overstretching or tearing a muscle or ligament can both lead to a sprain. Ligaments are thick fibers of tissue that connect bones and muscles. Muscle strains are often confused with sprains.
- Knee Injury: Any injury that interferes with the way the knee joint is moved can be a sports injury. It can be caused by excessive stretching and tearing of muscle or tissue in the knee.
- Muscle Swelling: Swelling is a natural response to an injury. Swollen muscles will be painful and weak.
- Achilles tendon rupture: The Achilles tendon is a thin, strong tendon at the back of the ankle. During sports, this tendon can rupture or rupture. At that time, you may experience sudden, severe pain and difficulty walking.
- Dislocation: Sports injuries can dislocate joints in your body. When that happens, one end of the bone is displaced from the socket. This causes pain and leads to swelling and weakness.
- Rotator cuff injury: 4 pieces of muscle work together to form a rotator cuff. The rotator cuff keeps the shoulder moving in all directions. Just a tear in any muscle can weaken the rotator cuff.
Knee and calf muscle injuries are common injuries
How to treat sports injuries?
The RICE method is a common treatment regimen for sports injuries. It stands for rest, ice, compression, and elevation. This method is useful for minor injuries. You can easily do it right at home.
For best results, do this method within the first 24-36 hours right after the injury. It can help reduce swelling and prevent bruising in the early days after an injury.
Prescription drugs are available to treat sports injuries. Most of them help you recover from pain and swelling.
If you feel a serious injury, see a doctor right away! Seek emergency care if a joint is injured and shows:
- Severe swelling and pain
- Clear lumps
- Cracking sound when using the joint
- Weakness and inability to put weight on the joint
Seek emergency attention if you experience the following following a trauma:
- Shortness of breath
Serious sports injuries may require surgery and physical therapy. Make an appointment with your doctor to get the most effective advice and treatment!
Ice application is an important step in the RICE method
Tips to avoid sports injuries
The best way to prevent sports injuries is to warm up properly and stretch. Stiff muscles are prone to overstretching and tearing. As muscles warm up, they become more flexible. The muscles can then get used to rapid movements, flexes, and jerks, reducing injury from occurring.
Here are some tips to help you avoid sports injuries in the first place:
Use the right technique
Learn the proper way to move during sports. Different types of exercises require different technical postures. For example, in some sports, bending your knees at the right time can help you avoid spinal or hip injuries.
Use the right workout accessories
When practicing, a pair of shoes that fit your feet and exercises is always a prerequisite. Besides that, other exercise accessories if not suitable can increase your risk of injury!
If you feel pain, make sure you’re healed before starting over. Do not try to exercise while you are injured. If you come back after letting your body recover, you should slowly return to exercise instead of jumping right into the workout with the same intensity as before.
Remember to do cool down exercises after the activity. Usually, this involves doing the same stretches and exercises that involve a warm-up.
Continue to move slowly
You shouldn’t let yourself rest too long. This can delay healing. After about 48 hours of RICE, you can start using heat to relax stiff muscles. Take it slow and gradually return to your exercise or sport of choice.
Wear appropriate clothing and exercise in moderation
Above are some sports injuries, treatment as well as prevention that readers can apply. If readers need advice on training or nutrition, don’t forget to download goodheathplan.com to connect with a professional coach.
Johnny Jacks was born in 1985 in Texas, USA. He is the founder of Good Health Plan and is passionate about helping people improve their health and physical well-being. With over a decade of experience working in the healthcare industry, he currently works at Goodheathplan.com – a blog that shares knowledge on beauty and health.