Lemons are one of the commonly used fruits for beauty purposes. There are various ways to utilize lemons for skin whitening, but do you know which method is the most effective? In this article, we will reveal 6 effective ways to whiten your skin with lemons in just one week.
The skin whitening benefits of lemons
Skin whitening is one of the amazing advantages of lemons. The citric acid in lemons acts as both an antioxidant, preventing the damage caused by free radicals, and a exfoliant, removing dead skin cells, peeling off the darkened layer, and stimulating cell renewal. This results in a bright and flawless complexion.
Lemon water functions as a natural whitening agent, which is much safer than many commercially available skin brightening products in the market today. With this property, lemon juice can help fade stubborn dark spots and acne scars, as well as lighten dark areas on the face.
Compilation of Lemon Skin Whitening Methods
There are numerous ways to whiten the skin using lemons, but you can try one of the following 6 methods to see quick results.
Lemon Juice Whitening
Significant improvement can be seen in dark patches on your face if you consistently apply lemon juice every week. As you may know, lemon juice contains a high concentration of acid. Therefore, when using this method, dilute it with a little water. After cleansing your skin, soak a cotton pad in the prepared solution and apply it evenly on your face and neck. Gently massage for about 2-3 minutes and then stop. Finally, rinse your face again with clean water and moisturize your skin.
Skin Whitening with Lemon and Tomato
The red color of tomatoes comes from lycopene, which is a compound that helps the skin appear youthful and rosy. With a mixture of lemon and tomato for skin whitening, not only will your skin be lightened, but it will also be protected from the harmful effects of sunlight, maintaining firmness and even tone.
Ingredients needed: Lemon, tomato, honey (optional).
Here are the two steps to create the lemon and honey skin whitening mixture:
- Rinse the tomato thoroughly, slice it into wedges, and put it in a blender to puree it.
- Add lemon juice to the blended tomato in a 1:2 ratio (lemon juice to tomato). At this step, you can also add 1-2 teaspoons of pure honey if desired.
- The resulting mixture from these two steps is the face mask we need. Now, apply it evenly to the skin and relax.
Skin Whitening with Lemon and Oatmeal
Our skin produces oil and continuously sheds dead skin cells. If not properly cleansed, these can accumulate and result in darkened layers of dead skin cells. Fortunately, the combination of lemon and oatmeal for skin whitening can effectively remove dead skin cells and darkened layers, leaving the skin smooth and rosy. Additionally, oatmeal provides moisturizing benefits for the skin.
Ingredients needed: Lemon, oatmeal, pure honey (optional).
Here are the two steps to create the lemon and oatmeal skin whitening mixture:
- Soak the oatmeal in water until it is evenly expanded.
- Mix the expanded oatmeal with lemon juice and pure honey (if desired) in a 1:2:1 ratio.
- Apply this mixture to the skin regularly, 2-3 times a week, and observe the difference in your skin after 1-2 months. During this time, don’t forget to moisturize and protect your skin from the sun.
Skin Whitening with Lemon and Fresh Milk
If you have explored natural skin whitening methods, you must be familiar with fresh milk, right? This cool and refreshing beverage is not only good for bones and the body but also helps achieve a fair and smooth complexion due to its lactic acid content. With the mixture of lemon and fresh milk for skin whitening, you no longer have to worry about dryness from using lemon.
Ingredients needed: Lemon, fresh milk.
Here are the two simple steps to create the lemon and fresh milk skin whitening mixture:
- Mix lemon juice with fresh milk in a 1:2 ratio.
- Stir thoroughly to blend the two ingredients together.
To ensure the highest level of skin protection and promote rapid brightening, remember to moisturize and protect your skin from the sun daily. Also, don’t forget that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can contribute to smoother and more radiant skin.
Lemon and Honey Face Mask
In previous recipes, we often used honey as an ingredient to create adhesive consistency. However, did you know that honey is also an excellent ingredient for skin healing, moisturizing, and reducing inflammation?
Simply mix an equal amount of honey and lemon juice, and you will have a skin whitening mixture. When applying it to your skin, remember to spread a thin layer. Relax for about 15-20 minutes, then rinse your face again to ensure cleanliness.
Skin Whitening with Lemon and Papaya
If you’re seeking an excellent solution for skin whitening and anti-aging, lemon and papaya are the perfect combination. Papaya is rich in lycopene, which is a nutrient known for its anti-aging properties. After applying this formula for 1-2 months, it’s no wonder why your skin becomes bright, smooth, and radiant.
Ingredients needed: Lemon, ripe papaya.
Here are the two simple steps to create the lemon and papaya skin whitening mixture:
- Cut a portion of ripe papaya (enough for a face mask) and blend it until smooth.
- Add an equal amount of lemon juice to the blended papaya, using a 1:2 ratio, and mix well.
In addition to using lemon as a facial mask, you can also drink lemon juice weekly to cleanse your digestive system and supplement vitamin C. All of these steps are beneficial for your skin.
What to Consider When Whitening Skin with Lemon?
Whitening the skin with lemon can yield effective results if done correctly. In addition to creating the mixture in the right proportions as instructed above, you should also take note of the following:
- Always cleanse your skin, exfoliate to remove dead cells, and eliminate excess oil before applying the face mask.
- The average duration for applying the face mask should be around 10-15 minutes, and it’s best to avoid leaving it on overnight.
- Apply the face mask only 2-3 times per week, as using it daily may compromise the skin’s protective barrier.
- Moisturizing your skin after each application of the face mask is essential.
- Due to its high acidity, lemon can potentially thin the skin. Therefore, it’s crucial to apply sunscreen daily before going outside.
It’s important to understand that relying solely on skincare is not enough to achieve smooth and fair skin. Instead, you also need to provide your skin with essential nourishment from within. Nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Glutathione, and collagen can be supplemented through your daily diet or through supportive food products.
What Other Benefits Does Lemon Have Besides Skin Whitening?
Apart from its skin whitening abilities, lemon is used in a variety of other beauty recipes. Increasing collagen production, reducing acne, regulating sebum, diminishing scars, and treating various skin issues are all fantastic benefits of this fruit for the skin.
- Boosting collagen production: The abundant Vitamin C in lemons stimulates collagen production in the body, which is a crucial protein for maintaining the skin’s firm structure.
- Treating acne: Lemon’s acidic nature and antibacterial properties help prevent the growth of acne-causing bacteria. Additionally, the astringent properties of lemon juice can reduce acne by decreasing inflammation and itchiness.
- Regulating sebum: Lemon juice can help regulate the production of sebum on the skin, thereby limiting clogged pores caused by excessive oil secretion.
- Fading acne scars: Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and certain compounds in lemons help repair damaged skin cells caused by acne.
- Addressing skin issues: One of the top benefits of lemons for the skin is reducing symptoms such as rashes, eczema, dermatitis, soothing sunburns, or bee stings.
- Smoothing rough patches and calluses: Rubbing lemon or applying lemon juice on rough patches and calluses can gradually reduce these uncomfortable skin conditions over time.
- Tightening pores: Lemon juice can visibly tighten and firm the skin due to its astringent properties. It can also help minimize blackheads.
Having a bright and rosy complexion always brings confidence and can even impact how others perceive and interact with you. So why hesitate? Take the time to “upgrade” yourself with the above-mentioned 6 ways to whiten your skin with lemon!
Johnny Jacks was born in 1985 in Texas, USA. He is the founder of Good Health Plan and is passionate about helping people improve their health and physical well-being. With over a decade of experience working in the healthcare industry, he currently works at Goodheathplan.com – a blog that shares knowledge on beauty and health.