The method of exfoliating with lemon is used by many women because the ingredients are easy to find, safe and highly effective. Lemon contains vitamin C and acid ingredients that help remove dirt, sebum and dead cells on the skin very well. Here are 11 quick recipes with this familiar ingredient. Let’s refer!
The exfoliating effect of lemon
Lemon is an ingredient found in almost every kitchen of Vietnamese families. It is used as an attractive spice that brings a lot of uses in life. You must have heard a lot about the skin lightening, darkening, and acne treatment of lemon, but not everyone knows how to take advantage of this ingredient in exfoliating.
In addition to removing the old layer of cells on the skin, lemon also has the ability to unclog pores, brighten skin effectively. Lemon contains a large amount of vitamin C and natural acids. The vitamin part has the ability to remove old skin cells, helping to slow down the oxidation process for younger-looking skin. Natural acids will remove dirt, sebum for smooth, bright skin.
However, it is also acidic, so lemons are quite picky about the skin. Those with sensitive skin need to consider or test it on a small area of skin before exfoliating with lemon. In addition, you also need to combine lemon with other ingredients to increase the cleaning effect and avoid harming the skin.
11 simple and effective lemon scrub recipes at home
Ways to exfoliate your face with lemon
** Exfoliate your face with lemon and almond oil
Almond oil contains nutrients that help moisturize and soften the skin. The combination of this ingredient with lemon not only supports exfoliation, but also nourishes and softens the skin, reducing dryness.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of lemon, 1 teaspoon of almond oil and teaspoon of salt
- You just need to mix almond oil with lemon juice and salt
- Apply the mixture just mixed on the face after cleansing, gently massage for about 5 minutes and keep the mixture on the skin for another 15 minutes.
- Then you wash your face with cool water and can continue with the next skin care steps such as using rose water, cream …
This formula is suitable for face, body and lips. So you can increase the dosage in the formula to exfoliate the body and reduce the dose when used for the lips.
** Lemon and yogurt both remove keratosis and make skin brighter
Yogurt contains a lot of vitamins and minerals that help to moisturize, effectively nourish the skin and remove the stratum corneum on the skin. Besides, yogurt also helps to repel melanin pigment to help skin fade, darken, melasma, whiter, smoother and healthier skin. Thanks to these uses, when combining lemon and yogurt, it will increase the effectiveness of removing dead cells on the skin.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of yogurt
- Just mix the yogurt with the lemon juice until they’re well blended.
- After cleansing your skin, apply this mixture on your skin and massage it all over your face in a circular motion for about 5 minutes. Leave this mixture on the skin for about 5 more minutes.
- Then just wash your face with cool water, you can feel the skin smoother immediately.
** Use lemon and salt to exfoliate, fade dark spots
In the composition of salt contains acidity similar to lemon, so that these two ingredients work together to not only remove dead cells but also deep clean pores. Besides, this mixture also helps the skin to be brighter thanks to its ability to fade dark spots and even out skin tone
- You just need to mix salted lemon with filtered water in a ratio of 3:1:1, depending on the skin area, you can adjust the ratio accordingly.
- After bathing, apply this mixture on your skin and gently massage for about 15 minutes, then rinse with cool water.
- With this formula you can use it for the back skin, body skin also works very well.
Tiny salt particles will enhance the effectiveness of the lemon facial scrub. You should apply this method about twice a week to clear the skin, reduce oil and dirt, and better absorb nutrients.
** Exfoliate your face with lemon and sugar
Sugar has the ability to reduce dark spots on the skin, the tiny sugar particles act like the scrub particles in the exfoliating cream to help clean the skin better. This is an extremely suitable material for those who have rough, dark, uneven skin tone.
You just need to squeeze 1 fresh lemon to get the juice and mix it with about 1 teaspoon of sugar and a little water. After cleaning the skin, apply this mixture on the skin and massage for about 15 minutes. Finally, you just need to rinse with clean water and follow the next skin care steps.
In addition to the face, this formula can also be used for the body and lip skin. But remember when exfoliating your lips, massage gently to avoid hurting your lips
** How to exfoliate with lemon combined with egg white
This formula not only cleans the skin, removes dead skin, but also effectively whitens the skin. This is a great choice for those with dry skin. When these two ingredients are combined, they will both clean dirt, sebum and moisturize, limiting irritation and redness on the skin.
- You just need to separate the egg whites, mix them with lemon juice and stir well to make the mixture smooth.
- Wash your face thoroughly, then apply the mixture on your face for about 15-20 minutes.
- Massage in a circular motion, then you need to rinse with cool water.
** The duo of lemon and honey remove dead cells, treat acne, fade dark spots
Lemon and honey are considered to be “revenge” of hidden acne, inflammatory acne. Because these two ingredients have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and acne-collecting properties. Besides, the combination of this duo also helps to remove dead cells, reduce dark spots, pigmentation and even skin tone. Therefore, for those who both want to remove the thick layer of horny skin on the skin, and want to treat acne, reduce dark spots, and fade dark spots, you can refer to the recipe below!
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mix honey with lemon juice and stir until smooth.
- Clean the skin and apply this mixture on the skin, gently massage for about 5 minutes
- Then keep the mixture on the skin for about 15 minutes, then wash the face. At this time, you will feel that your skin is much more moisturized.
Use lemon to exfoliate your body skin
Exfoliation of the skin is not only necessary for the face, but also very important areas such as the body, back, and lips. In the above content, the article has suggested for you to read recipes for facial skin, followed by some exfoliating recipes for body skin.
** Body scrub with lemon and rice powder
The reason rice flour has the ability to exfoliate is because rice flour has tiny particles that will create friction to help remove thick layers of skin, dirt, sebum and clean the skin. Besides, with the content of Vitamin B, minerals and some anti-oxidant ingredients that rice flour possesses, it can help skin whitening, rosy, healthy and good anti-aging. Especially when combining lemon with rice flour, the ability to exfoliate and whiten the skin is strongly promoted.
- Prepare 5 tablespoons of rice flour, 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and 3 fresh milk
- Mix the three ingredients together until they are smooth.
- Wash thoroughly, then apply the mixture all over the body, then massage gently and thoroughly for about 10 minutes in dark areas, hidden areas such as armpits, back, back neck, …
- Then keep the mixture on the skin for about 5 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with water.
- Apply body lotion to moisturize the skin of the whole body.
** The duo of coffee grounds and lemon will double the exfoliating effect
Similar to rice flour, coffee grounds have tiny particles that, when massaged, create friction to help remove dead cells and dirt on the skin. Besides, in coffee grounds also contains a number of ingredients that have antioxidant effects, protect the skin from the effects of sunlight, UV rays, whiten and increase blood circulation to the skin. Thanks to that, when combining coffee grounds with lemon, it will form a mixture that helps smooth skin, fade dark spots, even skin tone and whiter.
- Prepare 5 teaspoons of coffee grounds, 3 tablespoons of lemon and 1 egg white
- Blend all ingredients together.
- After taking a shower, apply the prepared mixture to the skin, gently massage for about 10 minutes at the same time
- Then leave the mixture on the skin for about 5 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
** Body scrub with lemon and fresh milk to exfoliate, reduce dark spots, whiten skin
The idea that fresh milk in liquid form can hardly remove the dead skin, thickened skin on the skin. However, fresh milk is a very good exfoliant because of its natural acid and lactic acid content, which has the effect of removing damaged, dull, and rough skin cells.
At the same time, fresh milk also helps the skin to reduce oiliness, clean pores, anti-oxidants, provide nutrients for the skin to be moist and smooth, and prevent wrinkles thanks to the composition of Vitamins B, A, and some minerals. Especially when combining fresh milk with lemon, it creates a mixture that helps smooth skin, whitens and fades dark spots, anti-aging.
- Prepare 4 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and 100ml of unsweetened fresh milk.
- Mix all the ingredients together until they are well blended
- Wash the body and then apply the prepared mixture to the whole body.
- Massage very gently in a spiral motion for about 10 minutes, then incubate the mixture on the skin for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, shower with clean water and then apply moisturizer to the skin.
For this formula, women can use it for lips and face, but please reduce the dosage accordingly.
** Exfoliate with lemon and oatmeal
Oatmeal is often present in skin beauty and skin treatment formulas, including the ability to exfoliate. Thanks to the granular texture, oatmeal removes old skin, washes away dirt and sebum.
Besides, this material also contains vitamins B5, A, C, E that work to repel melanin pigment to help brighten skin, fade dark spots, control sebum, reduce acne and tighten pores. Therefore, you can combine oatmeal with lemon to increase the effectiveness of exfoliation and other effects.
- Prepare 5 tablespoons of oatmeal and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of warm water.
- Soak oatmeal in warm water until it blooms, then add lemon juice, mix well.
- Wash the body skin then apply the prepared mixture on the body skin.
- Gently massage in circular motions for about 10 minutes while applying.
- Keep the mixture on the skin for about 5 minutes, then wash the body thoroughly with cool water.
** How to exfoliate body with lemon and green tea
Thanks to the possession of ingredients such as Vitamin E, Vitamin B2, EGCG, and a number of other antioxidants that have the effect of removing the stratum corneum, smoothing the skin, blurring dark spots and anti-aging. So green tea is also an ideal ingredient for you to combine with lemon juice to exfoliate the body according to the instructions below:
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of green tea and 3 tablespoons of honey and 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Blend all ingredients together until they are smooth.
- Wash the body, then apply the mixture to the skin, gently massage in a spiral motion for about 10 minutes for the nutrients to penetrate into the skin.
- Leave the mixture on the skin for about 5 minutes, then rinse with cool water.
Important notes when you make your own lemon scrub at home
Exfoliating with lemon is used by many people because it does not take too much time, cheap ingredients are easy to find but still effective. However, as mentioned above, lemon is acidic, so you need to pay attention to some of the following issues:
- If you have sensitive, easily irritated skin, do not use lemon directly on your face, you can test it with a small area of skin or dilute the lemon with a lower concentration.
- You should apply this formula 1-2 times a week, not using too often can cause thinning of the skin.
- For sensitive skin, easily irritated, red, skin in the process of acne or open wounds, you should not apply lemon scrub.
- When applying the lemon exfoliant, you need to protect yourself from the sun carefully because at this time, the skin is very easy to catch the sun. Remember to apply sunscreen to your face, lips and body. At the same time, cover your skin carefully when going out.
- The above recipes are not suitable for people who have inflammatory acne or acne on the face or back.
- After exfoliating with lemon, whether it is on the skin on the face or the whole body, if you detect abnormal signs such as itchy skin, rash, you need to stop immediately.
- After applying the lemon exfoliant to the face or body, you must apply a moisturizer to balance the moisture or for the face you can apply a toner.
For those who have damaged skin or have problems with inflammatory acne, they should go to spas and beauty centers to be examined by experts and give the best treatment. Self-exfoliating at home with any ingredients will easily make acne worse.
At prestigious units like Spa, there will be specialized treatments to take care of your skin more scientifically and effectively. In addition, with modern technology, your skin will be provided with regenerative nutrients from deep within to help thoroughly overcome the problems of acne, dark spots, scars, freckles …
Exfoliating with lemon, although quite effective, is only suitable for certain skin types. You need to carefully study the notes before doing so to ensure safety, not to cause skin irritation.
Johnny Jacks was born in 1985 in Texas, USA. He is the founder of Good Health Plan and is passionate about helping people improve their health and physical well-being. With over a decade of experience working in the healthcare industry, he currently works at Goodheathplan.com – a blog that shares knowledge on beauty and health.