Women at the age of 35 often begin to notice signs of aging on their skin, including wrinkles, sagging, hyperpigmentation, freckles, moles, dryness, and dullness. While these signs are inevitable, women need to know how to prevent and address them by adopting proper skincare methods to extend their youthful appearance and maintain healthy, vibrant skin.
Why does skin start aging at the age of 35?
Most women at the age of 35 have likely experienced the pressures of family, childbirth, and work, significantly impacting their lifestyle. The lack of time for self-care can expedite the aging process of their skin.
The impact of aging on the skin
Aging is a universal experience for women, with visible signs typically appearing after the age of 25. Therefore, women at 35 are more likely to be affected by the aging process. The depletion of collagen and elastin fibers, crucial for maintaining smooth and elastic skin, is a primary cause of aging. Common manifestations include dryness, sagging, wrinkles, and dullness.
Not changing skincare products
Finding suitable skincare and nourishing products can be challenging for many women. Once they find a product that shows results on their skin, they tend to stick with it. However, it’s essential to recognize that our skin changes over different stages of life, requiring specific products for each phase to meet the skin’s evolving needs. Changing skincare products can introduce new nutrients, promoting collagen production and preventing aging effectively. Using products from reputable brands with proven origins and widespread trust is crucial.
Not understanding one’s skin
A fundamental aspect of skincare is understanding one’s skin: its condition, issues, type, and potential allergies. Tailoring skincare routines to address specific needs and imperfections ensures optimal effectiveness. Expensive products may not necessarily address skincare concerns, while budget-friendly options might offer better results. Starting with a simple and gentle skincare routine allows the skin time to adapt.
Exposure to sunlight
UV rays in sunlight are the leading cause of accelerated skin aging. UV rays weaken collagen and elastin fibers, slowing the production of new collagen. The breakdown of collagen and elastin leads to sagging, reduced elasticity, increased melanin production causing skin discoloration. Additionally, the lack of collagen makes the skin more susceptible to damage and slower healing.
At the age of 30, how should you take care of your skin?
Sunscreen Every Day
The anti-aging skincare routine is incomplete without daily sunscreen application. Many people mistakenly believe that UV rays only appear on bright, sunny days, which is not entirely accurate. UV rays persist during cloudy, overcast days, silently impacting the skin by causing collagen breakage and increasing melanin, resulting in skin damage. Therefore, meticulous sun protection is essential to complete and enhance the skincare process.
Proper Skin Cleansing
Effective skin cleansing is crucial at any age, maintaining a clean and bacteria-free complexion while minimizing harmful factors. Each person may use different facial hygiene products, and the procedures may vary. However, the cleansing routine should involve basic steps such as makeup removal, exfoliation (2-3 times a week), and washing with a facial cleanser.
Additionally, aside from selecting products suitable for the skin, gentle massage techniques should be employed to avoid causing abrasions and damage to the skin.
PH Balance for the Skin
Despite numerous moisturizing products available, using toner (tonic water) is advisable for women in their 30s. This product helps tighten pores, balance the skin’s pH, and moisturize immediately after cleansing. This step supports subsequent moisturizing and skincare steps, enhancing nutrient absorption. Choose a toner for daytime and nighttime use to supplement antioxidants and provide additional moisture for the skin.
Use Anti-Aging Specialized Serum
Women at 30 should opt for serums instead of regular moisturizers. Serums contain a high concentration of active anti-aging ingredients, accelerating the skincare process and offering enhanced benefits. Serums effectively address common signs of aging such as wrinkles, dry and dull skin, pigmentation issues, and enlarged pores.
- Vitamin C Serum: Improves melanin pigmentation, enhances UV protection, and leaves the skin firm, smooth, and moisturized.
- Hyaluronic Acid Serum: Provides deep moisture, ensuring the skin remains firm, smooth, and hydrated day and night.
- Whitening and Anti-Spot Serum: Targets dark spots, common at age 30, for even-toned and youthful-looking skin.
Use Specialized Eye Cream
The skin around the eyes is thin and prone to early aging. Therefore, choosing a dedicated product for this area helps improve dark circles and fine lines. Eye cream moisturizes and protects the under-eye skin effectively, promoting collagen synthesis at night for elastic and youthful-looking skin.
Anti-aging Skincare Routine at the Age of 35
Thoroughly Cleanse Your Skin
As mentioned earlier, proper and thorough facial cleansing is one of the simple yet crucial steps to slow down the aging process and enhance skin health by eliminating external factors. Clean skin, free from dirt, oil, and open pores, can effectively absorb nutrients from subsequent skincare products. It’s advisable to cleanse your face twice a day, in the morning upon waking and at night before going to bed. Gentle cleansing motions and suitable products for your skin type will help remove dirt and excess oil effectively.
Exfoliate Your Skin
Exfoliating is performed 2-3 times a week but plays a crucial role in skin cleansing. Each person sheds about 500 million dead skin cells daily, accumulating in the pores. Dermatologists recommend exfoliating 1-2 times a week, depending on skin type and the chosen method.
Moisturize Your Skin
Choose a moisturizer suitable for your skin type, as different brands produce products tailored to specific needs. Prioritize products containing antioxidants, skin-renewing properties, wrinkle reduction, and extracts from natural ingredients for gentle effects. Avoid moisturizers with excessive fragrances that may cause skin irritation.
Sunscreen application is a crucial step in protecting your skin from harmful sun exposure. There are numerous sunscreen products on the market, and for women aged 25 and above, it’s essential to choose based on criteria such as ease of application, moderate sun protection (SPF 50++), non-alcoholic, fast absorption, mild oil control, and additional moisturizing properties. Proper shielding is necessary to prevent damage to different areas of the skin.
The busy life of work, family, and responsibilities often leads women to neglect self-care. Women over 35 should supplement essential vitamins and minerals for physical health and skin vitality. Recommended vitamins for women over 35 include Vitamin A, C, E, B-complex, K, and Choline.
Cleanse Before Bedtime
Before heading to bed, your skin needs to breathe and rest. Therefore, removing makeup and daily debris with makeup remover ensures a clean canvas. Follow up with a facial cleanser for an additional cleanse, and if possible, use a facial cleansing device for a deep clean. Subsequent skincare steps will prepare your skin for a good night’s sleep.
The Best Anti-Aging Creams for Age 35
- Benefits: Retinol, a form of Vitamin A, is known for promoting collagen production, reducing fine lines, and improving skin texture.
- Usage: Apply a pea-sized amount at night, gradually increasing frequency to avoid irritation.
Hyaluronic Acid Creams:
- Benefits: Hyaluronic acid provides intense hydration, plumping the skin, and reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
- Usage: Suitable for both day and night; apply after cleansing and before moisturizing.
Vitamin C Creams:
- Benefits: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that brightens the skin, promotes collagen synthesis, and protects against environmental damage.
- Usage: Typically used in the morning; follow with sunscreen for added protection.
- Benefits: Peptides help stimulate collagen production, diminishing wrinkles and improving skin elasticity.
- Usage: Can be used day and night; apply before moisturizing.
Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) Creams:
- Benefits: Niacinamide reduces redness, improves skin texture, and helps maintain an even skin tone.
- Usage: Suitable for daily use; can be incorporated into both morning and evening routines.
Sunscreen with Anti-Aging Properties:
- Benefits: Sunscreen is crucial to prevent sun damage, which is a major contributor to premature aging.
- Usage: Apply every morning as the last step in your skincare routine.
- Benefits: These creams often contain ingredients that stimulate collagen production, improving skin firmness and elasticity.
- Usage: Typically applied in the evening; follow product instructions for best results.
Moisturizers with Ceramides:
- Benefits: Ceramides help strengthen the skin barrier, retaining moisture and preventing dehydration.
- Usage: Can be used morning and night; apply after serums.
- Benefits: Antioxidants protect the skin from free radicals, reducing oxidative stress and preventing premature aging.
- Usage: Incorporate into your morning routine before applying sunscreen.
Glycolic Acid or AHA Creams:
- Benefits: AHAs exfoliate the skin, improving texture, and reducing the appearance of fine lines.
- Usage: Typically used at night; start with a lower concentration and gradually increase.
When selecting anti-aging creams, it’s essential to consider your skin type, specific concerns, and any potential sensitivities. Additionally, incorporating a consistent skincare routine, staying hydrated, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle contribute to overall skin health.
Read more: Does Sunscreen Help Prevent Skin Aging?
In summary, signs of aging gradually become more pronounced and noticeable after the age of 30. Therefore, women need to equip themselves with anti-aging methods at the age of 35 to improve the health of their skin and physical well-being. This way, women can feel more beautiful and confident in both their professional and personal lives. It is hoped that the above article can provide useful insights for women to reference effective skincare routines and choose suitable anti-aging skincare products for themselves.
Johnny Jacks was born in 1985 in Texas, USA. He is the founder of Good Health Plan and is passionate about helping people improve their health and physical well-being. With over a decade of experience working in the healthcare industry, he currently works at Goodheathplan.com – a blog that shares knowledge on beauty and health.