Under-eye dark circles not only give your skin a dull and discolored appearance but also contribute to an overall tired and lackluster look. So, what are the causes and remedies for under-eye dark circles? Let’s find out in the following article!
What are under-eye dark circles?
Under-eye dark circles are characterized by dark, discolored, and sagging skin beneath the eyes. They are often accompanied by puffy eye bags, which, although not affecting your health, make you appear tired and aged. Multiple factors contribute to the development of under-eye dark circles, including poor blood circulation, oxygen deficiency, and congestion in the under-eye area.
Under-eye dark circles significantly diminish the beauty of your face. Moreover, the skin may develop wrinkles, crow’s feet at the outer corners of the eyes, and puffiness beneath the eye bags. If left untreated, these conditions can lead to the following symptoms:
- Yellowish tinted sclera and prominent dark or purple under-eye circles, accompanied by dull eyes, indicating liver failure, hepatitis B, or liver cancer.
- Blue or deep purple under-eye circles, accompanied by symptoms such as acid reflux, constipation, and abdominal pain, indicating conditions related to the stomach.
- Dark circles around the eyes and lips, accompanied by intermittent chest pain and impaired blood circulation, indicating cardiovascular and circulatory disorders.
- Severe swelling and discoloration of the under-eye area, with dark patches indicating damaged and dilated blood vessels, leading to chronic nasal congestion.
Causes of Under-Eye Dark Circles
Before treating under-eye dark circles, it is essential to understand the underlying causes. Let’s explore the following reasons and determine which factors contribute to their appearance:
One significant factor to consider is genetics. Scientists have identified that the under-eye area has delicate and vulnerable skin. When blood circulation becomes congested, it is prone to the formation of dark circles beneath the eyes. Even at a young age, under-eye dark circles can easily develop, leading to dark discoloration and signs of sagging and drooping. The genetic transfer from parents, grandparents, or previous generations contributes to the concentration of melanin pigment in this delicate area.
Prolonged periods of stress and fatigue can also lead to under-eye dark circles. When the body experiences weakness and exhaustion, it affects the immune system and overall resilience of the skin. Consequently, the facial skin, especially the under-eye area, experiences accelerated aging, the formation of wrinkles, and the appearance of dark circles.
Pollution in the environment, such as air, soil, and water, can diminish the elasticity and radiance of the skin. Moreover, environmental pollution weakens the skin, making it susceptible to various external factors. For instance, sunlight and blue light from electronic devices negatively impact the eyes, causing blurry vision, eye strain, and the concentration of dark circles that extend downwards.
The aging process becomes increasingly complex as humans grow older, progressing over time. The natural decline in collagen and elastin leads to severe reduction. Many sweat glands appear on the skin, indicating the emergence of puffiness and dark circles under the eyes.
Dehydration and lack of moisture cause the skin to age rapidly, leading to the formation of wrinkles. Additionally, dehydration causes the skin in facial areas to become dull, tone down, and particularly darken significantly under the eyes.
Lack of Sleep
You often notice dark circles when you experience sleep deprivation or lack of sleep for a few consecutive days. Sleep deprivation makes you appear dull, pale, and lacking vitality. As a result, blood vessels beneath this area become congested, resulting in the rapid appearance of dark circles.
Staying up late causes noticeable puffiness under the eyes as fluid accumulates in this area. Currently, the trend of staying up late has become increasingly common among young people due to two primary reasons. The first reason is related to meeting deadlines, working on projects, completing reports, assignments, while the second reason is due to a passion for gaming, binge-watching, and socializing.
Furthermore, the habit of excessive screen time, playing games on electronic devices before bedtime also contributes to the formation of under-eye circles. Prolonged exposure strains the eyes and stretches the muscles, leading to the dullness and darkening of the skin in the affected area.
In addition to the aforementioned causes, under-eye dark circles can occur when your body is weakened or as a warning sign of related conditions such as liver disease, gastric issues, irregular menstruation, or anemia.
Sunlight with UVA and UVB rays triggers the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for skin coloration, leading to weakened skin and overall health. The sensitive skin beneath the eye area is particularly susceptible to these effects.
To minimize the harmful effects of sunlight, you can use specialized sunscreen products. Shield your face to avoid sun exposure and dust while protecting the natural fair complexion of your skin.
Effective Remedies for Under-Eye Circles
With the advancement of beauty technologies, treating under-eye circles has become much simpler. However, for those who still lack financial means, it is possible to treat under-eye circles at home.
Treating under-eye circles with cucumber
Cucumber is not only a common ingredient in cooking but also used in women’s beauty routines. It is particularly effective in treating dark circles, providing moisture and nourishment to the skin.
Ingredients and procedure:
- Prepare a fresh cucumber, clean it, and slice it into thin circles.
- Cleanse your face and hands thoroughly, then place the cucumber slices on the affected areas, especially the dark circles under the eyes.
- Using this remedy 1-2 times a week will give you a radiant, moisturized, and naturally glowing complexion.
Treating under-eye circles with used tea bags
Did you know that utilizing used tea bags for beauty purposes can be extremely effective in treating under-eye circles? The antioxidant properties found in green tea are known to help reduce dark circles. Additionally, it has a soothing effect on the eyelids, reduces puffiness, provides moisture, and reduces swelling.
Ingredients and procedure:
- After steeping the tea bags in hot water, remove them and let them cool down in a clean container.
- Cleanse your hands and face, then place the tea bags on your eyes and relax for about 20 minutes before rinsing your face with clean water.
- It is recommended to use this remedy regularly and store the tea bags in the refrigerator.
- Leaving them at room temperature overnight can cause the tea bags to spoil, releasing harmful substances for your skin and body.
Treating Under-Eye Circles with Almond Oil + Vitamin E
The perfect combination of almond oil and vitamin E helps eliminate under-eye circles and nourish the skin for a smoother and more radiant complexion.
Ingredients and procedure:
- Mix ½ teaspoon of almond oil with 3 drops of vitamin E, ensuring the ingredients are well blended.
- Cleanse your hands and face, then apply a thin layer of the mixture to your skin, using it as an overnight sleeping mask. In the morning, wash your face as usual.
- With consistent application, you will soon achieve surprising results in treating under-eye circles.
Treating Under-Eye Circles with Potato
In addition to cucumber as a natural remedy, you can also utilize potatoes to treat under-eye circles at home. According to research, the vitamins and minerals present in potatoes provide moisture to the skin and help fade and eliminate dark circles.
Ingredients and procedure:
- Choose ½ a medium-sized potato, wash it, and slice it into thin rounds.
- Thoroughly cleanse your face and hands, then place the potato slices evenly on your face, focusing on the under-eye area.
- After using this remedy continuously for 2-3 weeks, you will notice a significant reduction in under-eye circles.
Treating Under-Eye Circles with Warm Boiled Eggs
The hot steam generated from boiled eggs, whether chicken or duck eggs, helps improve blood circulation and clear congested blood vessels. This process facilitates the elimination and fading of under-eye circles.
Ingredients and procedure:
- Boil two eggs until they reach a temperature of 60-80°C (140-176°F).
- Cleanse your hands and face, then gently roll the warm eggs in circular motions from the inner to the outer areas and vice versa. During the massage, apply gentle pressure with your fingers to avoid causing any harm to the delicate skin around the eyes.
Treating Under-Eye Circles with Specialized Eye Creams
In addition to natural remedies, you can also incorporate specialized eye creams into your skincare routine. These products are safe and effective, and many women have achieved positive results using them.
Depending on your economic circumstances, you can choose suitable eye creams. Common ingredients in eye creams include vitamin E, azelaic acid, glycolic acid, hydroquinone, among others. These active ingredients help improve the under-eye area, provide nourishment, and promote even skin tone.
Should you undergo cosmetic treatments for under-eye circles?
This is a question we often receive from our readers: whether or not they should seek under-eye circle treatments at spas or aesthetic clinics. It is evident that there are advantages to treating under-eye circles with advanced machinery and technology at hospitals or spas, as it can quickly and effectively diminish the appearance of dark circles. It can significantly reduce the treatment duration after a few sessions.
Some treatment options you can consider include laser therapy or filler injections to smooth out wrinkles around the eyes. After the injections, the under-eye area will appear plump, smooth, and the dark circles will gradually fade. However, the downside of these beauty procedures is their relatively high cost, depending on the treatment package you choose.
Therefore, based on your financial situation, you can weigh the most effective methods to treat under-eye circles. When selecting beauty clinics, it’s essential to research and gather information, read user reviews, and consider the qualifications of the medical professionals before proceeding.
Under-eye circles can affect individuals of all ages and genders. They can diminish your facial beauty, radiance, and self-confidence in the eyes of others. If you have under-eye circles, we encourage you to promptly implement the measures we have shared. We wish you a soon-to-be glowing, fair, and free-from-dark-circles complexion.
Johnny Jacks was born in 1985 in Texas, USA. He is the founder of Good Health Plan and is passionate about helping people improve their health and physical well-being. With over a decade of experience working in the healthcare industry, he currently works at Goodheathplan.com – a blog that shares knowledge on beauty and health.